Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bouncy, Trouncy, Flouncy, Pouncy!

Photo Credit:  Walmart
I should really stop attempting these "easy to assemble" projects.  In my defense, how on Earth was I supposed to know that a mini-trampoline would come in pieces, or that those pieces would come with the instructions, "REQUIRES TWO STRONG PEOPLE TO UNFOLD.  ANY ATTEMPTS TO UNFOLD ALONE MAY LEAD TO SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH"?  Death?  By trampoline?  And not from a jumping mishap?  Dear God! 

Of course, I did attempt to unfold the trampoline by myself.  I'm a rebel like that.  Obviously, as I'm not typing from beyond the grave, I didn't die.  I didn't injure myself, either, but I did realize fairly quickly that it was a futile venture.  Thankfully, I have Thomas to help me this evening, but what about people who live alone?  How silly would I feel calling a friend to help me unfold a trampoline?  "Hi, Genna!  I just got the most adorable baby trampoline.  Could you come over and help me unfold it so I don't die?"  Or, "Hi, Mom!  I'm about to try to put together my new itty-bitty trampoline.  If you don't hear from me in the next ten minutes, would you be a dear and call 911?  Thanks!"  By the way, there was no warning of any kind on the box, that I could find.  Surprise!  It's a death trap! 

I will get it assembled tonight.  I'll probably burn more calories trying to open the blasted thing than I will actually jumping on it, but hey, that's a start.  Right? 

This was a Christmas gift from my Mother-In-Law, and it's a darn nice little trampoline.  I was really impressed with the quality, and that was just pulling it out of the box.  It's gotten great reviews, and came with a little exercise DVD.  I can't wait to get started, and I'll be sure to keep you guys informed of any progress.  Hopefully, I'll be better about it than I was the 100 pushup challenge.  That lasted a whole week before time restrictions kept me from being able to do them.   

While we're on the subject, here's a fun little article on the benefits of trampoline exercising.  Apparently, you can burn 30% more calories than you would doing the same workout on solid ground, and the movements are easier on your joints.  Plus, I always wanted one of these things when I was a kid!  Thank you, Carolyn!

And now for something completely different...

I thought I'd give another Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion a try.  Afterall, I did get four in the sampler set.  This time, I experimented with Eden.  (If this seems familiar, you're not crazy.  I reviewed a sample card of this back in August.  Thought it might be nice to revisit.)  According to Sephora:
Eyeshadow Primer Potions from Urban Decay are unmatched in the beauty industry! The genie in these bottles fulfills three wishes: eyeshadow that lasts, more vibrant and lasting color, and absolutely NO creasing. Apply Primer Potion to lids before shadow application and it dries down almost instantly, creating smooth lids that are super-powered eyeshadow magnets. Urban Decay offers several unique shades in their Eyeshadow Primer Potions, but all boast the same unbelievable function. Eden is a matte-finish, tawny hue and gives you a stunning "no makeup" look when worn alone or complements other eyeshadows worn in combination. Packaged in a pretty genie bottle, all these Potions are applied with a magic wand and flocked applicator.

According to me:

I like it.  Eden has a much thicker consistency than either Greed or Sin (a pink champagne hue that's just gorgeous).  In fact, it was so thick that, while I use the applicator for the other shades, I just dabbed this on my lids and used my ring finger to blend the product into my skin.  There was actually enough left over to apply a little under my eyes, as well.  There, it's working to hold my concealer in place, and actually worked as a light concealer by itself.  Also, the color is a nice nude that corrects any discoloration in the lid, to give you a clean canvas to work with.

Once I applied the primer (and I cannot stress enough to NOT use the applicator.  You'll only end up with way too thick a layer) I used an eyeshadow brush to blend on five colors (let's give this stuff a real challenge).  I used a neutral (so I don't look like a hooker with this much eyeshadow) quad from Smashbox that included a very dark brown, just to see if the primer affected blendability.  The shadows went on easily and blended beautifully.  Then I used a soft and shimmery golden brown from Stila just on the lid.  I wanted to see how layers held up, and any fallout from the sparkly shadow would give me a clear answer.  Three hours later, it's still there, and holding like a champ.

All in all, this is a winner.  The product does what it claims, and does it extremely well.  The packaging is adorable, and the price is wonderful ($18-$23, Sephora).  I have noticed with this line that a separate eye makeup remover is necessary to take it all off, but really, that just goes to prove how tough this is.  If you're looking for a good primer, give this a shot.

Oh, one more thing!  Since we're on the subject of eye makeup, here's a quick tip.  You may have already heard of this (and I can't, for the life of me, remember where I first found this), but I was in the middle of doing this today when I thought, "this is genius!  I need to share it!"

This is so easy, if you haven't heard about it, you'll probably kick yourself for not thinking of it yourself.  I know I did.  You know how mascara loves to clump up sometimes?  Even the best mascara has its off days.  Instead of using a clumsy eyelash comb, the easier (and better) route is to go with a clean, dry mascara wand.  When you run out of mascara, take the wand, clean it with eye makeup remover, and put it in your brush case.  When your mascara clumps, let it dry for a minute or so, then swipe the clean wand through your lashes.  Voila!  No more clumps, and perfectly separated lashes.  I prefer to swipe from above, twirling the wand slightly.  That seems to work the best, and keeps the curl.  So, there you go.  Problem solved!

1 comment:

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...