Thursday, January 27, 2011

I've Got Style! I've Got Flair!

What? What's that? Awards season hasn't completely left me out in the cold? Really?
 
The amazing Magnolia has bestowed upon me a Stylish Blogger Award! Thank you so much, sugar! I am beyond flattered. As a recipient, I am required to share seven random facts about myself with you, then pass the award on to fifteen other bloggers whom I admire. So let's get started!
 
1) I adore socks. Seriously. When Thomas asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I told him to get me socks. I have angora socks, cashmere socks, slipper socks, glittery socks, polka dotted socks...you name it. Oddly enough, I rarely actually wear socks.
 
2) My kid brother is, without question, the coolest Christmas gift I ever received (socks, included). Come to think of it, he came home in a stocking, which is sort of a sock, I guess. Anyway, watching him grow up has been an experience I never thought I'd have, and one I wouldn't have given up for any reason.
 
3) I suck at video games. I mean, I'm really bad. However, I'm a great backseat player. I give advice like a pro. "JUMP!! JUMP!! Why didn't you jump when I told you to?!"
 
4) Most of my wedding accessories came off eBay. My shoes (gorgeous gold and rhinestone salsa shoes, so comfortable I never had to change into flats), headpiece (identical to the $250 one in the bridal shop, but $35 online), and cake topper (that the caterer hid from us for a year--long story) were all "buy it now" lots.
 
5) I fell in love with a prom dress back in high school. It was in Seventeen magazine, and totally out of my budget. Of course, by today's standards, it's completely tacky and dated (red velvet column dress with sweetheart neckline, rhinestone straps and embellishments), but if it showed up on my doorstep today, I'd put it on, and probably not take it off until physically forced to.
 
6) You'd probably never guess from reading this blog, but I have rotten self-esteem. It drives Thomas crazy sometimes, I know. However, twice I've been complimented in such ways that I couldn't twist them into anything negative, and they're part of what keeps me going in the entertainment industry. Both were NY auditions, where no one has to be nice to you. The first was after a monologue from As You Like It, and the director's jaw literally dropped. Silence, then, "That was fabulous. Want to do another?" The other was as I was leaving the room, and I could hear the producer humming the song I'd just finished. The first part, I didn't get, but it didn't matter with feedback like that. I did get the second part, however. That's how I get through the rough times.
 
7) I firmly believe that there is a reason for everything that happens to us. However, I also believe that you can't just sit around and wait for life to happen to you. You have to, as a dear teacher of mine used to say, "Grow your own garden". Make your own opportunities. I say it to myself all the time, and now, I say it to you. Get out there and do something! 
 
Now, for the passing of the baton:
 
3. Epbot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...