Friday, January 7, 2011

Pretty Pretty Princess

Photo Credit:  DisneyParks Blog
When I was little, I was Daddy's little princess, and I'm afraid I took that literally.  A friend of mine was a pageant girl, and had a curio full of crowns and tiaras.  I wasn't allowed to do pageants at that age, so I saved up my allowance and bought a tiara (still have it), and Mom and Dad provided a frilly party dress with a "turn-around" skirt.  I looked awesome at dress-up tea parties.  In college, I started doing university and community theatre, and in the course of one year, somehow managed to play two queens and a goddess.  That Christmas, I seriously considered getting a crown-shaped tree ornament to commemorate.  After graduation, during my gypsy phase, I did a tour where I spent three months playing a fairy tale princess.  Honestly, as hokey as that show was, and as glad as I was to get home, it was absolute heaven to wear that crown everyday.

I wore a small tiara--more of a headband, really--when I got married, and had Thomas take a picture of me in the pink plastic crown that my friend's daughter gave me for my 30th birthday (and yeah, I'll admit that I kept it on while I folded some laundry), but other than that, I'm not the type to walk around in royal headwear for fun.  There's a time and a place for that, and it's generally in a show and on a stage.  However, this caught my eye.  I haven't yet decided if it veers more into the ridiculous or the sublime, but I guess it depends on the situation.

Disney is all about the experience, and they believe in going all out (they also believe in taking your money every chance they get, but I digress.  Sort of).  Now, you can "crown the princess in your life" during your visit to Walt Disney World, and there are several options (and price points) to choose from.

The company is touting this as a way to celebrate engagements, anniversaries, birthdays, or any romantic occasion (I'm guessing folding the laundry wouldn't count).  Through calling either the Dream Makers (I can't make this stuff up) at Disney at 407-WDW-GIFT, or going directly through Disney Floral and Gifts, you can set up the perfect experience for your princess. 

On the lower end, there is the Crown Her a Princess package.  For $125, your princess will be presented with a satin, crystal studded pillow, bearing a (really freaking gorgeous, I must say) rhinestone tiara, topped with a rose corsage.  The Dream Makers can arrange to have the gift presented almost anywhere in the park, though they seem to recommend either while dining, or in your resort room.

For an extra $10, you can change things up slightly with the Once Upon A Time package.  This pillow is made of carnations, pearls, ribbon, and tulle, and instead of a tiara, a glass slipper sits atop.  Check with your sales rep for delivery arrangements.

Of course, if you can't choose between the two, you can always combine them!  The Create a Fairy Tale package features the carnation pillow, plus both the glass slipper and the rhinestone tiara.  The package runs $165, and a Dream Maker can arrange to have it presented most anywhere on property.

Now, for $275, you can transform your Disney Resort room into a romantic hideout (rose petals, chocolates, spa basket, personalized embroidered towels, a dozen roses, and more), all From Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse, With Love.  For a little bit extra (call for pricing), you can add the Enchanting package to that (or give it on its own).  This includes the tiara on the satin pillow, a glass slipper, bracelet, personalized Princess Proclamation (say that three times fast), keepsake toasting flutes, champagne, and chocolates.  This would be my pick of the bunch.  You get the whole princess thing, but in a grown-up setting, and no one embarrasses you at dinner.  Although, I would wear the tiara around the park.  Disney's one of the few public settings where it's not only acceptable, it's expected.

Okay.  Enough messing around.  If you want to go hardcore Prince Charming and really do this as over-the-top as possible, for $485 (*gulp*), you can order the Presenting Your Royal Princess package.  This one is actually designed for three different age groups, but I'm only focusing on the adult version.  Just to make sure I get this right, here's the package, straight from the site:

Elegant cream and gold satin princess door sash that says “Princess” on one side of the sash and “Dreams Come True” on the other


Personalized letter from the Fairy Godmother, with sparkling wand

Rose petals sprinkled in the room

Three elegant cream and gold boxes with Dream, Wish, Believe inscribed on each:

Dream box reveals an enchanting and sparkling Princess tiara set upon a satin pillow

Wish box reveals a silver and crystal Princess tiara necklace nestled in a black velvety box

Believe box reveals a bejeweled pink and silver Princess compact and ornate Princess perfume decanter

Princess rose bouquet in a crystal vase accented with sparkling gems

A Princess satin sash to wear with elegant tiara pin (adjusts to “one size fits all”)

Princess Proclamation in frame personalized by the Fairy Godmother
Wow.  Just...wow. 

Of course, you can always come up with your own package.  Just call the Dream Makers, explain what you want, and they'll help you design the perfect package for your occasion.  Yes, it's silly.  Yes, it's insanely expensive.  However, the romantic in me is drooling a little bit at the thought of my Prince Charming proclaiming me his princess forever.  It's sweet, in a sappy, overly-dramatic, ridiculous kind of way.  Then again, isn't that what romance is, to begin with?  Sappy, overly-dramatic and ridiculous?

Now, here's my question:  Why don't they have this for guys?  The first thing Thomas said when I told him about this was, "Can I be knighted?"  Why not?  I, for one, would love to have a cast member come up to my sweetheart, proclaim him a knight in shining armor, and pin a medal on his chest.  I have a feeling that he'd be insufferable for the rest of the day ("I proclaim we sit on the front row!  I am a knight!"), but I also have a feeling that his cheeks would hurt from smiling all day long.  Yes, I would love to be a princess.  Why can't I have a knight? 

Thoughts?  I'd love to hear about them in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. i totally get down with the idea of a tiara. what girl doesn't?

    to me, it's romantic when someone goes out of his way, steps outside his regular routine, to do something that makes me feel loved. right before christmas, i was hanging out with the boyfriend, and i mentioned offhandedly that he's quite possibly the hardest person in the universe to shop for. he said, "you don't have to get me anything. you already got me something - i get to spend time with you."

    melt my heart, why don't you? especially coming from him. that'll do for me every day of the week.

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...