Monday, October 17, 2011

This'll Teach Those Trick-Or-Treaters!




Photo Credit (All): Urban Collector


Last night was the Season 2 premiere of one of my favorite shows, The Walking Dead. Forget the thrills and chills; I'm in this for the makeup. Seriously, I find myself picking my jaw up off the ground constantly during this show. Thomas laughs at me, because some...thing...will appear on screen, and I'm sitting on the couch, half covering my eyes, and half breathing, "Oh, my God, that's gorgeous!!" These creatures are works of art, and having applied simple prosthetics, myself (I'm, by no means, a pro), I tip my hat to the artists who put together these horrific zombies each episode.

This is a great show. If you haven't had a chance to watch it, I highly suggest renting the first season. TWD is not only visually stunning, but it's one of those shows that elevates the bar with its superb writing, top-notch acting, and brilliant pacing. Of course, it's from AMC, the home of Mad Men, so what do you expect? On top of that, new showrunner, Greg Nicotero, is a living legend in the special effects makeup field, which was a genius move, in my opinion.

This is a show that was tailor-made for the Halloween season. Anyone who's ever had trouble coming up with a decent costume need only watch a few minutes for more inspiration than they ever hoped. However, if you're looking for something a little more complex, grotesque, or just plain cool, check out these amazing Walking Dead masks and prosthetics, available at your local Halloween store. Prices vary, but these were in the $8-$12 range at Urban Collector.







Now, I am not going to tell you these are easy to apply. I'd suggest getting a friend to help, and maybe practicing a time or two before the big night. Also, I don't know how much liquid latex and spirit gum (if any) comes with the mask, so pick up an extra bottle of each when you check out. Trust me, you'll go through the latex. Seriously, though, I've looked at a lot of prosthetics lately, and for the money and accessibility, you won't find anything anywhere near this amazing. Have fun scaring the children!


1 comment:

  1. the more i see, the more tempted i am to just get out a garbage bag and go for halloween as a raisin. there's no way i can hang with stuff like this...

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...