Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Yummy Treats and Scary Faces

Well, this is the last thing my diet needs.
 
Krispy Kreme (conveniently located about a mile from my house) has just revealed their Halloween offerings. My skinny jeans are totally going in the donation pile; I can tell that now.
 
Anyhoo, those of you not counting every blasted calorie can look forward to Jack O'Lantern, Spider Web, Pumpkin Spice, and Chocolate Iced Halloween Sprinkle doughnuts. According to QSRWeb, here's what to expect:
 
Jack-o-Lantern Doughnut: A pumpkin-shaped doughnut wearing a mask of orange icing and a jack-o-lantern face.
Chocolate Iced with Halloween Sprinkles Doughnut: An orange and black sprinkled doughnut.
Spider Web Doughnut: A chocolate-iced doughnut with Kreme filling and a web of white icing.
Pumpkin Spice Doughnut: An old-fashioned cake doughnut made with pumpkin flavors and spices and finished with Krispy Kreme's Original Glaze.

The Pumpkin Spice will stick around until November 27th, but all the other flavors are out of there come Halloween, so grab 'em while you can. I know I will...*sigh*
 
Photo Credit: Bath and Body Works
Moving on to something that won't add ten pounds, I gave Bath and Body Works' True Blue Spa Blackberry Purifying Peel Off Mask a shot (that's a mouthful). Actually, I conned Thomas into doing it with me, so I wouldn't look totally stupid all by myself. You see, masks just look silly, pure and simple. Clear ones are awesome. Green ones are kind of the norm, but lead to "take me to your leader" jokes. White ones make me look like Marcel Marceau. But this one...well, this one was thick and black. I put a little on my nose and looked like a puppy. If I was going to spend the next 10-20 minutes looking ridiculous, he was doing it with me. For better or for worse, right?
 
Now, I've had a little bit of experience with black masks before, and I have to say, I wasn't impressed. Yeah, it worked like a charm, but it was a pain in the rear to use. I got this hoping for similar results with less hassle. Unfortunately, you can't always get what you want.
 
Ease of Use: 8 out of 10. I had no problem applying this mask. Thomas did, but he has a tendency to jab at his face like it's going to bite him when he applies anything to it. You have to spread this on almost like frosting, and make sure you have your hair pulled completely away from your face. Likewise, for me, removal was a cinch. Actually, by the time I starting peeling, some of the mask had already lifted up at the edges. Thomas had more trouble, but only because he didn't apply it thickly enough. Even so, he was able to get most of it off before finally washing off the remainder. Clean up wasn't a problem with this mask, either. What fell in the sink dissolved, and the rest could either be thrown in the trash or flushed.
 
Effectiveness: 2 out of 10. It's okay. It exfoliated my skin and left it feeling very soft and smooth, but I couldn't see where it unclogged any pores. Thomas thought his pores were clearer (Lord, he's a good sport), but wasn't blown away by the mask. Basically, it's good for a quick brightening, but that's about it, and considering this is billed as "purifying", that just doesn't cut it.
 
Comfort: 9 out of 10. I love wearing this mask. It does tighten up, but it's not miserable. I could still carry on a conversation without my lips pursing up like Daffy Duck's. This is also the most delicious smelling mask I've ever worn. It smells like candy, and I was actually sad to take it off. Thomas thought it smelled good, too.
 
Final Verdict: 6.3 out of 10. If you just need a fast and easy pick-me-up, you could do worse for $12. Just don't expect it to work miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...