Thursday, August 11, 2011

Magic Bag O' Samples and the Scottish Predicament

The magic bag o' samples made a reappearance this week, and from its mystical depths I withdrew Too Faced's Lip Injection Extreme. ($28, Sephora) Figuring, "what the hey? I could stand looking like Angelina Jolie," I decided to give this pretty plumper a shot. 

Before I go any further, let's see what Sephora has to say about this product:
Lip Injection Extreme is a lip plumping serum that gives long term results based on the most scientifically proven and advanced lip plumping technologies. Too Faced uses a potent quadra-delivery system that combines Vitamin E, collagen-booster MaxiLip and Dehydrated Marine Sponge to stimulate blood flow, promote fullness and re-hydrate with the body's own moisture for a long-lasting effect. Moisturizing doses of Avocado and Jojoba Oil condition to ensure a smooth, plump pout.
So, for the tl;dr crowd, what we have here is a lip plumper that works after a long period of regular use. Luckily, I had a pretty large sample, so I could give this an adequate testing. Let's break this down into categories, shall we?
Photo Credit: Sephora

Look: By "look", I mean the look of the product, not the packaging. This was a sample, so while the packaging was similar to what you'd get with a full-sized product, it wasn't spot-on exact. The plumper, itself, is a cloudy, iridescent clear. When applied, a high-shine, vinyl effect is achieved. Also, your lips will flush upon application, giving you some healthy color. It's actually really lovely. 10 out of 10.

Comfort: User reviews warned me that this would flat-out hurt. They must have really sensitive lips, or maybe mine are just lip plumper-friendly, because, while there was a definite tingle, the discomfort was no worse than I've experienced with any other lip plumper. It was about the equivalent of rubbing Red Hots or Dentyne across your lips. The gloss, itself, is non-sticky, relatively long-wearing (beware of eating), and lubricating, if not moisturizing. Some have complained of dryness, but I've not experienced that problem. 8 out of 10.

Ease of Use: This is to be used twice a day, and only twice a day. I keep it in my bathroom, on the counter, near my skincare products. When I wash my face and put on my moisturizer in the morning and at night, I follow up with this plumper. It really couldn't be simpler. The only drawback is not being able to use it for touch-ups during the day, because it is so pretty, but any lip product can be worn in the interim (or even on top). Too Faced does suggest using their temporary lip plumper, though. I've had decent results with Buxom, Urban Decay, and believe it or not, the non-plumping Beauty Rush from Victoria's Secret. In other words, use what you like. My only complaint is that this is a little pricey, but about standard for a plumping treatment. 9 out of 10.

Effectiveness: I can't swear to permanently fuller lips, but I can tell a definite difference. That's a new one for me. Most of the time, I can't tell if it's the shine that makes the lips look larger or if it's the actual plumper. This one, I can still see the results after the shine has worn off. 7 out of 10. 

Final Verdict: 8 out of 10. If you're in the market for a plumper, give this non-surgical option a try.


On a completely unrelated note, Halloween is a mere two months away, and I'm trying to get my costume in order. This year, I'm geeking out and going as Amy Pond from Doctor Who. Frankly, I thought her kissogram costume was freaking adorable, and I already have reddish hair, so this should be a snap, right? Wrong. I can't find a (reasonably priced) flack jacket anywhere. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. It seems I'm not the only one having issues, if the cosplay forums are any indication, so several people would probably be very appreciative. Here's a pic of the costume:
Photo Credit: Cosplay Island

Thanks, guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...