Monday, July 26, 2010

Zombie Be Gone

I love zombies. I do. I'm just--pardon the expression--sick to death of them. Between a year of pre-production on a zombie movie, fittings, makeup workshops, two months of filming said zombie movie, and then cleaning the piles upon piles of filfthy, sweaty, greasepaint covered (and I mean covered) costumes, I am sick of zombies.*

This morning, I took four garbage bags full of costumes to the thrift store. That's just what I've laundered that we didn't decide to keep. That's right. There's more. Lots more. And, in going through the piles upon piles of filfthy, sweaty, greasepaint covered costumes, I found more greasepaint! I have a box full of greasepaint, with every color you could imagine (except green. I ran out of green). If my brother wants to be a zombie for Halloween, I am totally set. Heck, I may go as Corpse Bride. Maybe Thomas will be a Smurf. Or Avatar. Or a combination of the two.

Honestly, after helping make up around forty (40) extras, I don't care if I never see greasepaint again. However, considering I'm a theatre and film girl, it's bound to pop up again. It is, afterall, part of the magic of the movies.

I'm still sick of it, though. I don't know about you, but when I think of movies, even though I know how much not-so glamorous work goes into making them, I still think of movie stars on the red carpet, and all of that Old Hollywood glitz and showmanship. The actor in me wants to play the part, warts and all, no matter how ugly it gets. The little girl in me wants the pretty makeup and sparkly dress.

So, Erin the actor rolled around in the dirt. I spent one evening covered in werewolf sweat, and another covered in blood. I have bug bites and scrapes and bruises. I did it all for art, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Now, Erin the little girl wants to play movie star dress-up. No more greasepaint. This stuff is fancy.
Photo by Sephora

LORAC cosmetics founder and celebrity makeup artist Carol Shaw put together a collection of her favorite products. Supposedly, this is the stuff she uses on her A-list clients to ready them for the red carpet.. Along with the collection, she has included instructions for application, ensuring a professional look every time. It's a $142 value, priced at $39.50, and a Sephora exclusive. With movie-themed product names like "Perfectly Lit" and "Special Effects", I had to give it a go.

First Impressions: When they say $142 value, they really mean it. You get five full-sized products. Not deluxe-sized samples, or mini versions. Five FULL-SIZED products. That's $8 a piece. You can't beat that at the drugstore.

The Products:

Perfectly Lit Oil-Free Luminizing Powder in Spotlight (warm beige)
The Good: When brushed on, it appears transluscent, with a slight shimmer. Comes in a beautiful silver-colored compact with a large mirror and sponge applicator. Silky texture.
The Bad: Does not control oil, and can actually make skin look oilier if over-applied.
Final Verdict: I threw out my old highlighter powder. This is lovely on cheekbones. Use a regular setting powder to control oil, and highlight with this. 7 out of 10.

Baked Matte Satin Blush in Hollywood (bronzed rose)
The Good: Gorgeous color. Highly pigmented. Works double-duty as a bronzer. Satin-like feel.
The Bad: If you're heavy-handed, you could look like Bozo.
Final Verdict: I'm Casper pale and can wear this. It does have a slight orange tinge, but I'm a redhead, so it works. That's not the case for everyone, so try before you buy, if at all possible. 8 out of 10.

Bronzed Bombshell Eye Shadow Trio in Sand/Serenity/ Bronze
The Good: Highly pigmented. Goes on like butter. Gorgeous shimmer. Colors blend well and work together harmoniously. When used over a primer, no creasing or fading.
The Bad: This is more for Ms. Shaw's instructions. She suggests you use the darkest shade as a liner. While that works for some sets, the darkest shade in this trio is a rosy bronze. When used as a liner, it makes my eyes look red, like I've been rubbing them. I would suggest using another liner.
Final Verdict: Beautiful eyeshadows. Some of the best I've tried. 10 out of 10.

Special Effects Mascara
The Good: Comes with a primer. Okay lengthening.
The Bad: The primer doesn't really make a difference. Not waterproof or smudgeproof. Does nothing for volume. Not great at separating. Not especially dark.
Final Verdict: Sadly, this was a real disappointment. I was excited over the primer. Really, I've gotten better at the drugstore. It didn't irritate my eyes, so I'll give it a 3 out of 10.

Couture Shine Liquid Lipstick in Vintage (light neutral beige)
The Good: They weren't kidding about the shine. Patent leather. It's a really beautiful, high shine. The lipstick also feels really smooth on your lips. Long-wearing. Pleasant fragrance and light flavor.
The Bad: The color! It matches my skin exactly! If your skin is olive or darker, you could probably wear this. I put it on and looked like a ghost. Also, while long-wearing is a plus, it would be nice to be able to take it off. I wiped off the lipstick, then got in the shower and used exfoliating face wash (Philosophy's The Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash) TWICE, then rubbed them with a towel, and it was still there.
Final Verdict: Maybe a different color with a really good makeup remover. 5 out of 10.

Overall Reaction: This set is worth it for the blush, luminizing powder, and eyeshadow alone. If you like the other two products, well, then that's gravy. I'm thrilled with my purchase, and it really does look amazing on. I look very natural and polished, just like a movie star. Now, all I need is an Oscar. Wanna hear my acceptance speech? Anybody? Fine. Be that way. 6.5 out of 10.

*Zombie and Ghost Extras: I love you all!!! Thank you for all your hard work and willingness to stand out in the heat with the bugs!!! I still hate the greasepaint, though. This is on CafePress, designed by Thomas. I think it's appropriate. The front says, "People for the Ethical Treatment of Zombies", and the back says, "I (Heart) Zombies".



Photo by CafePress


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...