Thursday, July 29, 2010

Challenge! B-Movie Update

Photo by Netflix
Last night, Thomas and I kicked back with Mystery Science Theatre 3000's take on The Blood Waters of Dr. Z. To say this was a bad movie would be like saying that sugar is a bad fuel additive--quite the understatement. I mean, I guess it's good as a public service announcement. The monster does remember to always use handrails when taking the stairs, afterall.
Overall, it's some of the best work the MST3K guys have done. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time, and once I looked over and Thomas actually had tears in his eyes. It's hilarious, and if you haven't seen it, you're really missing out.

Now, for the point. This was a severely dated movie. It came out in the 70s, and everything about it screams period. Toward the end of the movie, one of the actresses had on a maxi dress. Taking into consideration the pastel colors and sheer, flowy material, I think it was chosen to represent her youth and beauty. I couldn't find an image of it from the movie, but here's a dress that's fairly close.
Photo by Rusty Zipper
Now, the dress in the movie had a higher neckline and was all yellow, but other than that, this is pretty similar. It's a lovely dress, but it's so of its era, I'm not sure you could wear it and it not look costumey. If you're into it, though (and you happen to be a size 0 Extra Small), it's available for $35 at rustyzipper.com.

I thought it might be a fun challenge to see if I could find a modern version; something a little more wearable, but still keeping the basics--flowy material, floral motif, pastel colors, youth and beauty. Oh, one more thing, the movie was set in Florida, so weather appropriate (no long sleeves).

This was a much tougher challenge than I had estimated. Apparently, tribal prints and tie-dye are all the rage when it comes to maxi dresses. I had no idea. I'm 5'3" and curvy. I have no business even looking at maxi dresses, much less wearing them. Who knew?

I did find one, though, at Macy's (on sale for $17.99!!!), and I have to say I'm fairly proud of myself.

Photo by Macy's
I apologize for the awful picture. I won't go into the details, but it was like pulling teeth to get a picture this good. If you would like to see a better image, you can go here, but I couldn't pull it for the site. Sorry.
Okay, everyone back from Macy's? Isn't it pretty?! For those of you who didn't attend the field trip, it's a strapless maxi dress, white, with a ruffled neckline. It's a blouson (peasant) style maxi with a smocked waistband and a blurred (no kidding) Ikat print. It's lovely, and , I thought, a nice update for the movie dress.

Let's just hope they never update the movie. Some things should just be left alone. *shudder*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...